A wide beam headlamp is a powerful light source used to provide illumination while camping, hiking, backpacking, hunting, fishing, or any outdoor activity. A good wide beam headlamp should have many lumens, but not too many. Too many lumens can cause glare, making it difficult to use the lamp in low-light situations. Also, having too few lumens means that the light isn't bright enough for some activities.
Wide Beam Headlamp
There are two types of wide beam headlamps: handheld and helmet-mounted. Handheld lamps are held close to the face and illuminate only the area directly in front of the user. Helmet-mounted lamps mount onto a hat or visor and illuminate the entire field of vision. Some helmets come equipped with their own batteries and lights, while others require a separate battery pack.
Lumens measure brightness, not power. Power is measured in watts, and lumens are measured in candelas per square meter.
Watts vs. Lumens
Powerful headlamps need high wattages to produce sufficient light. However, high wattage headlamps tend to heat up quickly, causing discomfort if worn for extended periods. Low wattage headlamps are better suited for prolonged use.
How Many Lumens Do I Need?
When purchasing a new headlamp, consider the following guidelines.
• When using a headlamp for reading, writing, sketching, or other tasks requiring fine motor skills, choose a model with fewer lumens.
• Choose a headlamp with at least 2,500 lumens for general lighting purposes.
• Choose a model with 3,000 lumens or greater for night time navigation.
• Choose a unit with 4,000 lumens or more for deep water diving.
• Choose a large size headlamp for those who plan to use it regularly over a period of years.
• Consider buying rechargeable models. They're convenient, last longer between charges, and save energy.
A wide beam headlamp can be a great addition to any outdoor activity, providing ample illumination while still being easy to use. However, it is important to make sure that the headlamp has enough lumens to be effective, but not so many that it becomes difficult to see in low-light situations. With a little bit of research, you can find the perfect wide beam headlamp for your needs.
Comments will be approved before showing up.